The Support to Rural Entrepreneurship, Investment and Trade in Papua New Guinea programme (STREIT PNG) is the largest grant-funded programme of the EU in the country and in the Pacific sub-region. The programme was developed under the umbrella of 11th European Development Fund (2014-2020) and is being implemented as a United Nations Joint Programme under the leadership of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), partnering with the International Labour Organization (ILO), International Telecommunication Union (ITU), United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF), and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and in close collaboration with the Government and local partners with an emphasis on local agricultural entrepreneurs.
UNDP Project focuses of output 2.3 Increased productivity of, and access to renewable energy systems. The project will support investments in climate resilience and improved value chains by facilitating access to renewable energy technologies. It will deliver this by achieving activities that:
- Support policy and regulatory reform which will among things, promote the inclusion of food and agriculture in renewable energy development
- Determine the feasibility of investment options for renewable energy generation systems
- Establish renewable energy generation systems in Project areas and advocate for their up-take
- Support the generation of electricity generated from renewable sources installed.
This project is integrated into its current portfolio of environment, energy and climate change projects. It will leverage off existing renewable sector activities and existing partnerships with key relevant players and stakeholders and other development partners.
STREIT’s overall objective is to increase sustainable and inclusive economic development of rural areas. The Project will support investments in climate resilience and improved value chains by facilitating access to renewable energy technologies.
The objective will be achieved through the implementation of project outputs:
- Output 1: number of renewable energy generation facilities (except biomas) in operations in the project area established with project support
- Output 2: annual amount of electricity generated from renewable energy sources established with project support in the project area
- Output 3: number (/proportion) of MSMES in the project area having access to project supported renewable energy system (except biomas).
- Member of National Energy Sector Working Group Website and databased developed and in use
- Feasibility study report on renewable energy generation systems and mapping of current and potential suppliers for necessary equipment
- Impact assessment (report) on potential pilot sites and public institutions.
- Audit report on current energy related legislation and regulations and licensing arrangements.
- Model for accreditation standards to relevance, report on brokering investment opportunities and symposium on innovative financing models
- Financing models for renewable energy demonstrations
- Solar power operation in selected sites in ESP
- Energy efficiency audit report on needs and requirements on current infrastructure.
- Design and procurement necessary energy efficiency equipment and stakeholders trained on maintenance and operations of equipment.
- Stakeholder consultation for data model and inform policy and regulation discussions and draft regulations on renewable energy.
- Report on design and final costing on installation of micro-hydro power generations stations.
- Public awareness on renewable energy technologies and stakeholder trainings on maintenance and operations.
-Project Start Date: 01 Jan 2020
-Project End Date: 31 Dec 2024
Papua New Guinea
Environment and Energy
Government of Papua New Guinea
Climate Change Development Authority, Provincial Administrations of East Sepik
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
USD $3.39 million
2020 - 2024
Mr Edward Vrkic
Senior Climate Change Adviser / Focal Point