Papua New Guineans currently have low Information and Communication Technology (ICT) literacy skills, this reduces the opportunity for Papua New Guinean’s to enter the formal labour market, start up e-businesses, and for businesses to grow and prosper. Developing Papua New Guinea’s ICT skills will develop linkages between sectors in the economy increasing opportunities for prosperity and inclusivity, improve organizational management, productivity and service delivery.
The Government of Papua New Guinea, through the University of Papua New Guinea, is developing the country’s ICT capacity via the development of an ICT learning facility, in partnership with the Government of India and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). The facility will result in a model learning environment, including education software, curriculum and teaching facilities. The centre will provide a series of short and long term courses that bridge the academic and the professional skills requirements.
The objective of the project is to develop a world class ICT learning facility, the facility will form the Centre for Excellence in Information Technology (CEIT) and will result in a model learning environment at UPNG’s main campus. This will result in high quality training facilities for your in the areas of ICT, as well as bridge the gap of the skills between academia and the demands of the industry to produce capable human resources to fill challenging IT positions that demands a highly skilled workforce.
- Outcomes as per the UNDP Country Programme Document and the United Nations Development Assistance Framework 2018 – 2020;
- UNDP Country Programme Document Outcome 2.3. By 2022, all people in Papua New Guinea, including marginalized and vulnerable populations, benefit from shared prosperity and contribute to growth and development that is equitable, inclusive and sustainable.
- United Nations Development Assistance Framework Outcome 2.3: By 2022, Papua New Guineans participate in informal and formal income generation and have increase capacity to contribute to inclusive national growth
Achievement so far:
- Successful refurbishment of the CEIT facility at UPNG.
- The CEIT facility to be officially launched in 2020 by the Indian President.
- First batch of registered classes to commence in March of 2020.
- The CEIT facility offers various long courses ranging from 7 to 18 weeks at the most.
The University of Papua New Guinea (UPNG), Papua New Guinea
Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
The University of Papua New Guinea and the Government of Papua New Guinea.
The Government of India, the University of Papua New Guinea, and the Government of Papua New Guinea.
Download Project Documents: