Climate change continues to negatively impact Papua New Guinea (PNG). This affects PNG’s growth trajectory and the socio-economic opportunities people may otherwise enjoy. Building resilience to climate change has featured in national dialogue and political commitments for over a decade. Recognized as an acute challenge for PNG, Government and partners have committed to mainstream climate action in their planning and delivery. Major policy initiatives such as Vision 2050 and the national Strategy for Responsible Sustainable Development have broadened efforts to include better natural resource management, conservation and sustainable growth. However, limited access to the country’s rural areas, its limited economic base, exposure to external shocks and limited capacity across Government remain challenges.
The Advancing PNG’s National Adaptation project will support the Government’s interventions to address climate change adaption. It achieves this through the following:
- Strengthen institutional and technical capacities for iterative development of a National Adaptation Plan (NAP);
- Effective integration of the national climate change agenda into national and sub-national planning and budgeting processes;
- Design and sequence activities to promote effective use of Green Climate Facility (GCF) financing by enhancing synergies with existing initiatives and programmes in PNG, while avoiding duplication of efforts.
The objective of the project is to mainstream climate change into regulatory and policy frameworks to address climate change adaptation and to increase climate change adaptation awareness amongst key stakeholders at national and subnational levels.
The objective will be achieved through the implementation of three key project outcomes:
- Outcome 1: The coordination mechanism for multi-sectoral adaptation planning and implementation at different levels is strengthened
- Outcome 2: Climate change risks are integrated into key national and sectoral policies and NAP is formulated
- Outcome3: Financing framework for climate change adaptation action for medium-to long-term is established.
- Review of regulatory and policy frameworks are conducted, and reforms are initiated;
- At least 200 stakeholders sensitized on climate change adaptation;
- CCA priorities integrated into national and four sectoral policies;
- Mechanisms for regularly updating and reviewing adaptation are strengthened and feed into iterative adaptation planning processes;
- System for economic analysis and appraisal of adaptation plans is established;
- National Adaptation Plan is developed with specific focus on agriculture, health, transport and infrastructure; and,
- A NAP financing and investment strategy is developed through consultative processes.
-Project Start Date: 01 Feb 2020
-Project End Date: 31 Aug 2021
Papua New Guinea
Environment and Energy
Government of Papua New Guinea
Climate Change Development Authority
Global Climate Fund
USD $1.74 million
2020 - 2021
Programme Associate / Focal Point
Ms. Linda Kapus-Barae