Over 80% of PNG employers say skills shortages impede hiringDec 14, 2016
Port Moresby, 14 December 2016 - The UN Development Programme (UNDP) in PNG and Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu have released preliminary findings of the joint survey on business’ skill needs, launched in September 2016.
The survey has received over 230 responses from employers across all key sectors and locations of Papua New Guinea.
Some of the preliminary findings of the report include:
- Skills shortages occur throughout PNG, and are particularly prescient outside of major population centres
- Behind general economic conditions skills shortages are the single biggest factor that impede hiring
- Cost factors and human factors (such as staff productivity) also present considerable impediments to
hiring. Government factors, such as bureaucracy and red tape, are not viewed as major obstacles to
- Regional disparities are widening between Port Moresby and the rest of the country
- 60% of firms not expecting to increase their headcount over the next 12 months.
“The UNDP and Deloitte team are really grateful to all who completed the survey. With over 85% of the population in the informal sector, identifying ways to increase employment and lower employment costs to business is a fundamental way to support inclusive economic growth” said Stephen Liston – Manager, UNDP
“By addressing skills shortages and the human factors affecting productivity, it will go a long way to growing employment in PNG” said Todd McInnis – Manager, Deloitte.
The Survey seeks to address skills gap in Papua New Guinea’s labour market and factors that affect hiring decisions. The preliminary results from the survey can be found on the UNDP and Deloitte PNG website http://www.pg.undp.org or www.deloitte.com/pg
The final analysis of survey results, including sector skills needs, will be released in early 2017.
Should you have any queries in relation to the preliminary results or would like to find out more information, please send an email to the project managers: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;
Assel Tleof firstname.lastname@example.org