6 Ensure environmental sustainability
Where we are?
PNG has signed 46 multilateral environmental agreements (MEA) and a very large number of indicators have been adopted for the monitoring of progress on the environment. However, most of these indicators have never been measured and may never be measure.
Monitoring on MDG 7 in PNG is made very difficult because of the conflicting views with regards to environmental issues, especially in the area of forestry. Monitoring that is carried out is fragmented and uncoordinated.
It is absolutely essential that the Department of Environment and Conservation (DEC) assumes a leading role with regards to the collection, processing, management and analysis of all the data required for the monitoring of MDG 7. The national targets on MDG 7 should be revisited and most of them be replaced by unambiguous and measurable ones.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG7
- Integrate the principles of sustainable development into country policies and programmes; reverse loss of environmental resources
- Reduce biodiversity loss, achieving, by 2010, a significant reduction in the rate of loss
- Proportion of land area covered by forest and proportion of species threatened with extinction
- CO2 emissions, total, per capita and per $1 GDP (PPP)
- Consumption of ozone-depleting substances
- Proportion of fish stocks within safe biological limits
- Proportion of total water resources used
- Proportion of terrestrial and marine areas protected
- Reduce by half the proportion of people without sustainable access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation
- Proportion of population using an improved drinking water source
- Proportion of population using an improved sanitation facility
- Achieve significant improvement in lives of at least 100 million slum dwellers, by 2020
- Proportion of urban population living in slums